Guardianship can be established over minor children needing a non-parent to look after them. Guardianships can also be set up for disabled adults who can not manage their finances or personal affairs. Guardians can serve over either (1) the person and/or (2) the estate of the child or disabled adult. A personal guardian decides where the child or disabled adult will live and makes sure their day-to-day needs are met. The guardian for the estate is in charge of looking after the money and property of the child or disabled adult. A guardian may be necessary in the following scenarios:

  • A child under 18 is left an inheritance or is the recipient of funds arising from a personal injury case
  • A child under 18 needs a non-parent to look after them for an

131 East 9th Street, Lockport, Illinois 60441, USA